[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sat Jun 28 23:21:38 UTC 2014

On 29/06/2014 12:41 AM, mailing at biased.org wrote:
>> That Dell isn't going to be quiet, it is designed for an office with
>> a certain
>> amount of ambient noise to cover the fan.
>
>> I'd suggest replacing the TV.  I did that earlier in the year for my
>> mother.  SVideo really doesn't work very well any more.
>
> Thanks everyone for advice!
>
> Unfortunately I know my parents will not replace the TV, even if I buy
> them a new one - it's in good working order and they don't care about
> quality like we do.  I can't stand their TV, but that's their
> decision.  They just want a new PVR as they current one is very
> unreliable.  I'm doing the separate frontend/backend as we may have
> multiple frontends, and I want their frontend to be as quiet as possible.
There are Nvidia cards capable of TV-Out to S-Video (some require an
VGA-Svideo adapter cable), and there are also DVI->S-Video Converters
available.  Not sure about picture quality, I am guessing its not going
to be anyware near DVI/SVGA/HDMI Quality.

> OK the Dell isn't quiet enough - what would be a better alternative?
> I need to be able to have a video card with S-Video out, either
> onboard or added-in.  It also need to be powerful enough for 1080p as
> I have some films I'd like them to watch and the CPU need to be
> powerful enough to downscale that to PAL.  The power would be useful
> for future expandability when they finally upgrade to a better TV.
> DVD drive would be nice, but not necessary.  The total cost shouldn't
> be much more than $200.  I'm happy to buy second hand parts and build
> a computer, or already bundled.
Mass Produced PC's can be made quieter, with the use of resistor's to
slow the fan speeds down, upgraded fans, etc.  But yes, Dell's are
generally fairly loud.  Compaq Desktop systems are generally fairly
quiet unless running heavily loaded, (which a frontend with NVidia
(VDPAU ) enabled will not be running hard.  (I run a P4 - 3.0 GHz
Frontend that has a NVidia GeForce 8400 GS Card, running 1920x1080
resolution, and plays anything I throw at it.)

Look for a VDPAU Capable Nvidia Card that can do TV-Out, and a PC that
can take the card.  Check Manufacturers Specs for the PC to check its
Noise Levels (Compaq/Dell etc, usually supply these details), anything
P4 or better with a gig of ram will operate happily as a Frontend.

> Many thanks again!
>
> Cheers - Piers
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.