[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

Piers Kittel mailing at biased.org
Fri Jun 27 21:14:45 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Been mulling on the MythTV setup for my parents for a few months now -
I've taken on board advice to separate the back-end and the front-end so
I'm looking to build a nice quiet front-end capable of playing silky
smooth video.  The back-end will have Hauppaugue DVB-T capture cards.
My parents' LCD TV only have a S-Video input, no composite, no VGA.

I've got a Silverstone LC04 case & PSU however the PSU is pretty old and
a little flaky.  After researching the MythTV wiki, I have come up with
the following hardware list - I'm hoping you could advice me whether
this fits the requirements well.

* Dell Optiplex 760 Desktop with Core 2 Duo 3GHz & 2GB RAM (e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191197846732 )
* GeForce 8400 with S-Video out and VDPAU support  ( e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281126445741 )
* Cheap SSD drive (e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/261748 )
* Controlled via MythMobile on iPad (already have)

Total cost £110-£120 ($190-$200)

Am I on the right track, or would there be better options?  Also, would
a GeForce GT610 with a VGA-S-Video adapter be a better bet?

Regards - Piers