[mythtv-users] OT - Hunting a MoBo.....

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 00:18:51 UTC 2014

Hoi Jean-Yves,

> On 26 June 2014 00:28, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> Apologies for the hijack but…
>>
>> I didn’t consider Asrock, didn’t think much of them but this board looks promising.
>>
>> Have you used the PCI slots, I’d really like more than 2 but this might be a possibility?

> I bought that MB so I could use my DVB-T PCI cards.

> My Dvico Digital4 card emitted a nice smoke after I inserted it
> thinking the PC was off, when it wasn't.

> The other PCI card works just fine.
> And since I've added 3 dual tuner PCIe cards.

> It's virtually impossible today to find a motherboard that accepts the
> latest intel processors (1150 socket), have IPMI *and* PCI slots.

> The supermicro equivalent has only one PCIe slots and lots of PCI. Or
> it's lots of PCIe and no PCI....

> As mentioned, the ACPI works weirdly here, and I've kept ubuntu 12.04
> on it with kernel 3.2. With newer kernel, when I do reboot, it turns
> off. And when I do halt nothing happens.

> works just fine with kernel 3.2.
> I lodged a bug at ubuntu about this, they've asked me to try with the
> newly released BIOS, but I can't be bothered. It works with kernel 3.2
> and this PC will probably die running it.

> Otherwise I like that board. It's well laid-out. It has plenty of
> ports; and I would never get anything for a server but one with IPMI
> and iKVM.

> For my data storage server, I use a supermicro X10SL7-F; it has 14
> SATA ports, 8 SAS2/SATA3 on a LSI 2308, but only two PCIe slots and no
> PCI.

Those acpi issues sound like I have with an old athlon XP board. On a
tuxonice hibernate it locks halfway and I have to powercicle twice.
But before on a 3.8 kernel it worked. The other one (athlon64) doesn't
properly restore usb power after a hibernation. On a second
hibernation there is no power on the usb bus to accept wakeup. It's
now running in a 24/7 server that doesn't use this. So weird things
that could possible be fixed with custom acpi, but I never bothered.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop