[mythtv-users] vdr and mythv

Richard Hulme peper03 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 21:47:15 UTC 2014

On 16/06/14 14:08, Per Jessen wrote:
> Richard Morton wrote:
>
>> It sounds like he is in a territory where he can pick up satellite
>> intended for different countries and each of those stations broadcasts
>> shows dubbed into their local languages.
>
> Precisely.
>
>> Therefore he wants to record only shows where an English audio track
>> is present
>
> Yup.
>
> I asked about this feature about a year ago, and even had a look at the
> DVB stream to verify that the language info is indeed present.  AFAICT
> it's just not being stored as part of the EPG data.

And I guess that's the main stumbling block.  If it's not in the EPG
(and even if it were, I don't know whether MythTV even supports that at
the moment), the scheduler must schedule all showings because it can't
know in advance which one will be in the right language.  There would
have to be some post-processing that then checks the available audio
tracks and deletes the recordings that don't match.

You could almost certainly achieve the same thing now by running a
user-job after recording that, for example, runs ffmpeg to determine the
audio languages present and if not English (or whatever language(s)),
deletes the recording.

It potentially gets tricky because you might need ignore any pre- or
post-roll parts, and probably any adverts in case a TV station switched
languages.  It's going to very much depend on what any given TV station
does.

In most cases, it's probably cleaner and easier just to create either a
'this channel only' rule as Michael suggested, or a power rule if
several channels are possible.  At least that would prevent a tuner
being tied up recording something that is going to be deleted immediately.

Richard.