[mythtv-users] Shared filesystem that looks different to different machines

BobW bob_pub_mailbox-mytv at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 02:31:01 UTC 2014

On 6/4/2014 18:56, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> NFS originally was not designed for read-write access by multiple
> clients and is still not strong in it.

I would disagree with this statement. I have supported NFS installations
with hundreds/thousands of users accessing the same file systems and not
seen anything near the issue you describe. Of course, this is at the
enterprise level, not home server level.

The only issue that NFS has is when the server removes access to the
entire NFS export without first disconnecting the mount on the client.
(But as someone else said, that isn't an NFS issue.) Never have I seen
an issue where one users modification of a shared file system caused
issues for other users. (All bets are off if you let users modify
directories /above/ another users mount point, but the same would apply
if I let someone delete the folder above your CIFS share point.)

At the enterprise level, much of this comes down to an appropriate
permission model and consistent mount points.

Then again, perhaps MythTV running on consumer grade Linux has other issues.

Bob