[mythtv-users] Some master/slave backend advise required

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 04:16:19 UTC 2014

On 3 June 2014 08:56, Johan Van der Kolk <johan.vanderkolk at gmail.com> wrote:

> My aim was to keep all the data on the master backend, which also has the
> 7TB ZFS Zraid2-0, (raw 12TB in 6 disks) and use that processor for the SQL
> database, master backend comflagging and some other services. Using the
> slave backend only to process and push the data up to master backend with
> the ZFS storage pool. That does not seem to be a recommended option.

don't have your database running on the same ZFS array as where you
are keeping your recordings.
That alone is probably what is giving you most issues.

Use ZFS if you wish, but keep the disks separated. A SSD would be best.

use a ZFS mirror array for your SSD if you are paranoid (IMHO a single
SSD and regular backup of the database to the RAIDZ2 array is more
than enough)

> Infiniband looks attractive from performance perspective, but I have no idea
> about cable pricing. I need to cover a distance of about 50 meters with lots
> of bends.
it's going to set you for thousands...

> From the comments I received so far, it looks like if i have to throw $$$ at
> the problem, it is best spent on a powerful slave backend with plenty
> processing power and local storage. I just miss the fault tolerance, unless
> I just use plain raid mirror.
> Just afraid to drop that system in the garden shed…although it may be the
> safest location for a server, who would steal a server if he can take the
> lawnmower :-)

how hot does it get in your area?

in my shed, I would regularly see temperature in excess of 50C, that's
pretty bad for any hard drives

no way I would store a server there