[mythtv-users] Resolved: Comcast changed my schedule lineup. How do I see the change with MythTV?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Jul 27 21:28:24 UTC 2014

On 07/26/2014 05:38 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> I hope this will help mythfilldatabase
> Channel List Handling Options:
> --do-channel-updates  update channels using datadirect
> --do-not-filter-new-channels    don't filter ATSC channels for addition
> --only-update-channels          only update channel lineup
> --remove-new-channels disable new channels on datadirect web interface

Yes, it did help, in an indirect way. Some of those descriptions don't
tell me enough to know if they're what I need to do. But it caused me to
think about finding the mythfilldatabase documentation. It's probably
something I should be able to find from the links on
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Index. I did not succeed with
that approach due to information overload. However, I realize that I
could simply search for myhfilldatabase with Google or DuckDuckGo. They
gave me http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythfilldatabase, which gave me the
list of command line options, which told me that --dd-grab-all gets me
everything that can be gotten. I do that once a week to update the
program listings, so anything new should have been collected.

The real problem was that I had not done another step at Schedules
Direct. I wondered if there was a way to see what the channel lineup for
my service is on the Schedules Direct site. I noticed the Edit button
and clicked on it. Sure enough, there were all the channels. As I looked
through them I noticed that 805 was grayed out. I also noticed that it
was a link to something so I clicked it. After clicking it, it was no
longer grayed out. Ah-ha! Then I ran mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all.
When that was finished 805 was present. I made it part of my Favorites
channel group, and now I can see it with MythWeb.

So, the steps to take when the channel lineup changes are:

1. "Click the 'Re-Add All Lineups' hyperlink on the Schedules Direct
website to refresh the channels in your account and then ...

2. ... edit your lineup at the web site to enable the new channels."
After clicking on Edit, find the channel(s) you want to enable and click
on them.

The observant reader will note that the above instruction, which I
copied from the e-mail I got from the helpful Schedules Direct person
does tell me to "edit your lineup at the website to enable the new
channels." This is the part that I failed to do at first.

3. Run mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all.

4. Confirm that the channel(s) are present by tuning them with Watch TV
in Myth.

Thanks for the clue stick.

--
Regards,