[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu or other distro?

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sun Jul 27 03:06:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt
<acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:
> So, I'm looking for a packaged version of myth, one that tracks the latest
> *release* (not looking for something tracking master here) fairly closely,
> and is reasonably stable. I do have one machine in my house which will
> continue to run Gentoo, but I'm more then willing to determine which git
> version the packaged version is running and manually build on that one
> machine, in truth I don't run myth much on that machine anyways.

Obviously I'm a bit partial to Gentoo, but the main piece of advice
that I'll offer is to run the same distro on all boxes that have
mythtv on them.  Unfortunately MythTV tends to change the database
format fairly often, so unless all your boxes are on the same build it
is possible you'll have problems (the closer they are, the better).
Since different distros will update fixes/etc on different schedules,
you're going to have problems if you have a backend on one distro and
front-ends on another.

This is why I ended up giving up on MiniMyth for my ITX front-end.
There wasn't anything wrong with it per-se, but it drove me nuts that
I couldn't keep everything in sync.  Now I'm running Gentoo for
everything, and that is fairly effortless.  Any mainstream or
Myth-oriented distro would likely offer the same, but if some of these
boxes are multi-purpose then that could sway your distro choice.  If
your backend runs on a Debian box because it doubles as a webserver
and you want to use Debian for a webserver, then run Debian on your
front-ends as well.

If MythTV is your main consideration then just make sure that whatever
distro you pick supports it well (stays current on fixes, supports
stuff like lirc/nvidia/etc as needed, etc).