[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 06:40:08 UTC 2014

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>> Note, I tried recording 5 HD
>> streams to a single spinning disk, and while it seemed to work, I could
>> hear the drive thrashing.  Spreading the recordings over 3 smaller drives
>> made a huge difference, especially because I have peaked at 8 HD recordings
>> at once.
>
> When there is too much disk activity on one drive, you can get
> recordings with blocks of data missing.  I believe there will be a log
> entry about it, but you need to check.  So unless you did that, or
> played all your test recordings, you may have missed a problem with
> them.

Indeed, and I've seen that.
My first Myth backend was "somewhat under specced" - a Xen guest on an underpowered machine. I had a lot of recordings that had breakup at certain times - typically at 5 minutes or (some multiple of 30 minutes)+5 when another recording was starting up and so there'd be a load of disk access for the DB updates.

The effect is very much like having a poor signal on DVB with blocks of data missing which results in the picture freezing momentarily, going blocky, and pops in the audio.

As said, you won't know this until you watch the recording.