[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jul 23 21:26:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM, jacek burghardt <jaceksburghardt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well do you guys think that using ssd for buffer will imrove mythtv ?

Define improve.

Unlike others, I like the idea of using an SSD as a recording drive...
because of the lack of access times I could easily sustain all of my
recordings and playback on a single drive... i currently use 3 spinning
recording disks.  Using a user job I could then move them a week or so
later to spinning media.  This solution would allow my spinning media to
sleep except when actually moving the recordings over, or watching an
episode that recorded over a week prior, and it would let me reduce the
spinning media to a single large drive.  Note, I tried recording 5 HD
streams to a single spinning disk, and while it seemed to work, I could
hear the drive thrashing.  Spreading the recordings over 3 smaller drives
made a huge difference, especially because I have peaked at 8 HD recordings
at once.

For the database, you can see a substantial improvement unless your mysql
configuration is heavily optimized to eliminate disk reads.

For the OS, it doesn't really matter... once the system is up and myth is
running, there isnt much going on.

For mythfrontend, you might find it a bit snappier loading artwork, channel
icons, etc... probably not much though considering I don't have any
complaints running the frontend on a diskless/iscsi system.