[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:01:52 UTC 2014

Personally, I think SSDs are overkill for recording storage.  The cost/GB
ratio is still orders of magnitude higher than HDDs, and the benefits you
get from a SSD (fast random access) don't really match what you need for
recordings (decent sequential performance).  Even the slowest HDDs these
days are still fast enough to record and watch multiple simultaneous
streams, since they are still large sequential operations, just interleaved
with each other.  Also, the bitrates required for recording and playback
are relatively low compared to the sequential throughput of HDDs available
today.

Hosting the OS/system/database/metadata on an SSD does make more sense
however since those items will benefit much more from the higher random
throughput, and do not take large amounts of space.

If you're worried about losing data from drive failures, I think backups
and/or drive mirroring are a better method to managing that.