[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jul 22 18:21:00 UTC 2014

On 7/22/2014 1:28 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:

>         IE> After facing a 2nd green drive failure since January, I began
>         IE> dreaming of using SSDs as long-term storage. Just curious if
>         IE> anyone's using them as storage for video libraries.
>
>         Did you consider using a RAID-Array? Cost is much lower and dying
>         drives will not give you a headache. I am using RAID for many
>         years as
>         home storage and never had a data loss or recovery headaches.
>

>     Considered it, but have also read threads where some think it's
>     overkill for Myth.
>
> RAID is overkill for Myth.  But backups are not.

On the contrary, for an end user, redundancy is much easier and cheaper
to implement than backups.  If all you want to do is protect against a
single drive failure, all you need is one extra drive. Backups require
at minimum double the amount of storage, and proper backups involve
multiple times the amount of storage in rotation.

> ensures that the most valuable data is available even if you
> accidentally do something stupid (rm -rf /)

That's the real issue.  Data backups exist ONLY to protect from
corruption and deletion.  Filesystem corruption is very unlikely to
happen, and when it does, will most likely just result in minor decoding
artifacts.  Is protecting your recordings from yourself really important
enough to warrant the expense of backups?