[mythtv-users] Transcoding an mpg file

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 21:36:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Karl Dietz <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>
wrote:

> On 17.07.2014 16:59, Greg Oliver wrote:
>

>> I have a camcorder that creates VC1 videos that will absolutely not seek
>> unless I run mythcommflag against them.  It is just a habit to do it and
>> always works when I do.  Should I post a sample somewhere?  It would be
>> nice not to have to do it :)
>>

> You may want to remux the files to Matroska (e.g. with a current version
> of mkvmerge) so all players can use the seektable / cue data.
> http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge.html
>
> Regards,
> Karl

I keep most of my videos in mkv containers, but these camcorder vids are
few and far between and I rarely watch them to bother with it.  Football /
baseball games, etc they get up to 64GB..  I let Mythcommflag chew on them
while I am not recording anything.  I never really noticed the issue with
them on my BE/FE combo, but when I streamed then to an ION and tried to
seek, it pukes all over itself :)  That's when I learned I had to build the
seektables.  I guess converting them and deleting the original is an
option, but then I could not copy them back to SD card and play them with
the camcorder elsewhere.

The common recurring theme seems to be that you cannot please every video
player all the time with every video :)  After years of tinkering with Myth
and various other programs to transcode on the fly for other devices in the
house, I finally decided it was much easier to just throw a frontend
everywhere and only make Mythtv happy with the videos.  I used to use some
cobbled together ffmpeg scripts with mediatomb, etc to play to all of the
directv receivers which by model number all had different requirements on
what they would play, and it was too much to manage after a while.  I like
mythtv the way it is, so when I make it happy, then everyone knows they can
switch the input on the tv to mythtv and watch what they want.  If they
want to stream stuff all over the place to other devices or watch mythtv
stuff on something else, then they will need to figure out how to do it,
because I am unavailable :)

I invested in all of the frontends on all the TVs and it just works.  I
have watched on tablets and phones using vpn into the house, and while
pretty cool, I never really use it - I have netflix, amazon, hulu, etc -
there is always something I can watch until I get back in front of the myth
boxes to watch my recording and video libraries.  I do like to tinker
though :)

Just my $.02