[mythtv-users] Resolved by itself?: Myth machine hangs

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jul 18 19:54:55 UTC 2014

On 16/07/14 02:48 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 06/22/2014 10:22 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu 12.02 on the machine on which I run MythTV, both
>> back end and front end. (Note: this is not mythbuntu exactly, but the
>> garden variety Ubuntu 12.02 with Gnome fall back (or whatever it was
>> called -- not Unity). Normally I let the machine run 24/7. Over the
>> past few days I've turned the TV on and found that the machine is
>> hung. I get no response to the remote control, or the wireless USB
>> keyboard. I tried connecting with ssh from another machine without
>> success. The only thing that I've tried that works is to force a power
>> down and then restart.

I have seen this on the "testing" setup on the desktop here at work. I
strongly suspect that it has something to do with acpi ordered
power-down states. Not hibernation or suspect, but a setting which
reduces power usage when the machine is not touched for a period of time.

And certain programs such as myth do not seem to recover gracefully. It
may be some sort of race condition between/among the BE, FE and mysql.
and the BE fails to record programs which it ought to have done.

I haven't spent the time to adequately determine exactly what settings.
This does not occur on the myth box at home.

And yes, it is a big red switch recovery here too.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury