[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct TBA Listings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 17 16:26:24 UTC 2014

On 07/17/2014 11:51 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 07/16/2014 06:44 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>>> Actually, I believe the --dd-grab-all is the best fix, as it refreshes
>>>
>>> all of your data and is less intensive for SD.
>>
>> Yes.  Definitely.
> Perhaps, finally, on 0.28, '--dd-grab-all' should be the default.
> WIth an option such as '--dd-grab-old-slow-and-incomplete'
> added (ok, probably '--no-dd-grab-all', but I like my option
> better as being more descriptive).  As I recall, there is some
> minor complexity due to option conflict checks, but certainly
> doable.  The release notes (which no one reads, but...) would
> have to warn those running substantially under-resourced
> systems to override the new default, but still it would seem
> that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....

The biggest problem with making it the default is that it causes hard
failures on systems that can't handle it (never-started/"lost"
recordings and can possibly even cause complete scheduler failures which
may result in the backend running for days without doing any recordings
and/or crashes and/or system failures due to unexpected "pulling the rug
out" data loss).  With the current default, there are no hard
failures--only "less efficient" scheduling due to not knowing about
updates of current day and +2 through +12 listings.

I definitely won't be able to lead the change/handle issues for a while,
but my preference would be to make the whole thing robust enough to
prevent those failures (and efficient enough that even underpowered
systems could handle it) before we change it.  That said, I wouldn't
object to someone else's changing it if they take the lead on handling
all the issues (and complaints :) that will undoubtedly surface.

However, the time spent on making --dd-grab-all work (or at least making
it not cause major failures) for underpowered systems may be better
spent on figuring out how to integrate the JSON-based delta-only
grabbing into MythTV (and/or XMLTV).

Mike