[mythtv-users] Transcoding an mpg file

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 00:20:30 UTC 2014

Hi

On Thursday, July 17, 2014, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> I have some mpg files that I generated by playing some video tapes into a
> ReplayTV, and then saving them with WiRNS. I want to put them in my Videos
> collection in Myth. That's easy enough to do by moving the .mpg files to
> the correct directory and then running mythutil --scanvideos. I can watch
> the videos with Myth, but Myth doesn't know how to jump ahead and back. I
> understand this is because Myth didn't keep track of stuff while it was
> being recorded and that I need to run something to give Myth that
> knowledge. I found

Myth keeps its own seek tables, so seeking is fast and reliable.

However, they should never ever be a must have.

Even if your file doesn't have seek tables,  myth can still seek into the
file, using different method.  That's what happens with most videos in the
video library that do not have seek tables (usually, only recordings do)

If it can't seek then it's a bug.
Can you open a ticket and provide a sample so we can look into it?

Thanks
JY