[mythtv-users] Transcoding an mpg file

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Jul 16 21:32:33 UTC 2014

I have some mpg files that I generated by playing some video tapes into
a ReplayTV, and then saving them with WiRNS. I want to put them in my
Videos collection in Myth. That's easy enough to do by moving the .mpg
files to the correct directory and then running mythutil --scanvideos. I
can watch the videos with Myth, but Myth doesn't know how to jump ahead
and back. I understand this is because Myth didn't keep track of stuff
while it was being recorded and that I need to run something to give
Myth that knowledge. I found Transcoding in the wiki which led me to
Mythtranscode. Then I ran into the issue of the documentation assuming I
know what all those options mean.

So, two questions:

1. Am I on the right track to giving Myth the information it needs to
allow for intelligent jumping around (and bookmarking) in the video?

2. If yes, which options do I need?

Thanks.

--
Regards,