[mythtv-users] New Capture Card working, now for UPnP Server

Jason But jbut at swin.edu.au
Sun Jul 13 22:45:47 UTC 2014

On 07/11/14 19:09, Ludvik Tesar wrote:
> Jason But <jbut at swin.edu.au> wrote ..

>> Perhaps I was a little unclear, I am also migrating to a new system and
>> planning to decommision the old mythtv server. The new card is in a new
>> head-less system
> Hi Jason,
>
> UPnP protocol has two parts. The server is announcing itself with multicast packets on UDP port 1900. Then, data are communicated with combination of HTTP and SOAP communication on the specific port, in case of mythbackend it is at port 6544.
>
> I your case, maybe the multicast communication at UDP port 1900 could be blocked, perhaps by some firewall, or both ports may be blocked. You can easily test that the unicast part at port 6544 exists trying the URL http://mythbackend_hostname:6544/getDeviceDesc in browser. It should return XML file with the description of mythtv UPnP server with tags like : <modelDescription>MythTV AV Media Server</modelDescription>, etc. Also, the soap communication may be tested (e.g. with wget). As for 1900 port, it might be easier to check the firewalls first, if you have any (there could be firewall in the new box).
>
> Ludvik

It turned out that because my new myth server is also my home
server/gateway, the default route to the Internet meant that the UPnP
multicasts were directed to the Internet (which my firewall then blocked
response to). My old myth box was on the internal LAN and so while I had no
239.0.0.0/8 route, the default route sufficed to make it all work. Once I
added the multicast route to the routing table all was fine.

As a networking person, I am rather embarressed