[mythtv-users] Display lost on HDMI TV power cycle

NickS nicks272 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 19:49:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

When I power my TV off and on again, I lose the display from my MythTV box (the TV says "no signal").

I can manually restore the display by pressing CTRL+ALT+F3 to get a command terminal prompt, and running the command:
    sudo restart lightdm
but this isn't a viable solution for other people in the house.

This problem wasn't happening on my previous Mythbuntu 12.04 installation (which was using the propietary ATI driver), but is happening on my clean install of Mythbuntu 14.04 which is using the open ATI driver. My graphics controller is an ATI RS880 [Radeon HD 4250] which I believe is not supported on the current version of the proprietary driver, and trying to revert to old versions of the kernel and driver seems like a bad way to go.

Should I stick with the default "open" ATI driver, is this recommended for MythTV? I understand that maybe I need to create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and put *something* in it, but nothing I've tried seems to work.

Please can someone recommend a solution? Thanks.

Nick