[mythtv-users] OT: Does 1080p work over a wireless link between STB and TV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 20:46:13 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:
> It seems that no one on this list has any actual experience with these
> wireless devices.

The answer for anything wireless is "it depends".

"It depends" on your RF environment.  "It
depends" on your wall composition.  "It depends"
on your willingness to accept possible artifacts
due to the usual RF issues.

The particular device you have referenced uses
the WHDI standard, which runs in the lower
5GHz band (same as 802.11a/n) which can
result in some interference (sometimes), and
has the usual 5GHz limited range issues
(more limited than 2.4GHz for most environments)
An alternative is the Wireless HD standard, which
runs in the 60GHz band and currently has
few other contenders for that spectrum, but
range is (even more) limited, mostly in room.

So, it is not just the device, it is the environment,
and your expectations. About the only thing
one can do is try it, and see if it works in your
particular case (and make sure wherever you
purchased the device from has a good return
policy).

As a personal choice, I tend to select Gefen
as the vendor when I want stuff to "just work".
They have never been the lowest cost provider
(that is being kind to their pricing), but have
a history of high quality A/V units that can
slice, dice, and make Julian fries.  They have
something that can solve almost any problem
with your A/V setup, including those that you
did not know you had :-).

Gary