[mythtv-users] OT: Does 1080p work over a wireless link between STB and TV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 06:12:39 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> This isn't HDMI-over-network, this is HDMI-over-CAT6. You're doing nothing
> more than running the HDMI signal over CAT6 cabling. You're also taking
> advantage of heavier gauge wiring to boost the hell out of the signal.
> You're also supposed to use shielded cable, and that's not something the
> typical person has laying around. That's not even something the typical
> electrical contractor has lying around.

Well, I could walk down to a local electronics store
that carries it, but for others, there is always Grainger
(or Amazon).  Next day delivery (at a bit of a premium).
Someone not experienced with field termination of
Cat6A shielded might need some practice to insure
the result would pass a DTX-1800 certification test.

> Of course this is all moot, since this is in lieu of running replacement
> wires.
> You're better off just getting some fish tape and pulling a new line through
> the wall.

Even easier, just use the poly pull twine that you
have in the wall from the original pull (did not leave
an extra pull twine in the wall when you put in the
cable?  Lesson learned), or, use the existing HDMI
cable as a pull rope to pull in a replacement (along
with that additional poly pull twine for the next time;
Stapled the HDMI cable inside the wall?  Well, add
that to the lessons learned).  I am sure the regulars
over at avsforum and the satellite forums have lots
of other ideas and tricks of the trade too.

And, of course, you can often repair an HDMI
cable (and/or the connector).  There are field
termination kits available.  It all depends on
what "broke" really means in this context.