[mythtv-users] Custom perl script in OSX

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 06:19:20 UTC 2014

On 4 July 2014 03:22, Dan Wilga <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> On the contrary: Mac OS application bundles are wrapped up in a directory
> which the operating system uses to give the appearance to the end user that
> the whole thing is a monolithic unit. Apple assumes you really don't want to
> know what's inside the sausage, so they hide it in a pretty casing :-).

On the contrary of the contrary...

While you may access the content of the bundle easily. Doing so
reliably is much more complicated, and as Mike mentioned, unlikely
going to be possible.

Perl modules are expected to be found in a particular location.
On mac, the bundle can be moved at whim. How would your 3rd party
module determine where the perl bindings are located? its not
guaranteed to be fixed.

For python bindings, I wrote a work around as with python this is made
easy as you simply have to set an environment variable to add to the
python path search.

Perl doesn't provide that mechanism.

So my guess is that if you want to use perl scripts using mythtv perl
bindings, you will have to use mac ports, which install things in a
similar fashion to what other unixes are doing

> Perl and other programs can access individual files within a bundle as
> though they were any other file. One need only do an "ls -R
> /Applications/Calendar.app" to see what I mean.

and how do you know where that bundle is located?