[mythtv-users] Upgrade from 0.26 to 0.27 broke firewire

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 22:13:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) <cats22 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> I actually created a patch for this in Mythtv 0.24, that solved the
> problem. The patch failed in 0.25 and the problem had gone away for me by
> then. The patch was a kludge work around - i.e. closed and opened the
> firewire port if the error occurred. That action recovered and recording
> could continue.
> There is a comment in the patch from andy that suggests that the issue may
> be related to the VIA chipset.
> When I was having the issue I did look at verbose logs and could not find
> any cause. It seemed that after recording for a few seconds it would stop
> receiving data. One thing - the bus reset that is in the code and gets
> called every few seconds when this error is happening - does not fix the
> problem, but seems it may make it worse. I tried with that option both on
> and off and that did not help.
>
> The general view from most mythtv developers seems to be that firewire is
> dying out. I think the cable companies now have a waiver that lets then
> give a DRM protected ethernet stream instead of firewire.
>
> Let me know if you need some help testing firewire changes.
>
> Instead of putting more time into firewire, is anybody investigating HDMI
> capture? There are HDMI capture cards available now and I have seen a
> couple with Linux drivers. They seem to be expensive. I know that would not
> work if the HDMI was encrypted, however Comcast has the small "adaptors"
> with HDMI output and I wonder if they use encrypted output. How does one
> check if the HDMI stream is encrypted?
>
> Peter

As an aside, I have been using firewire for many years (I'm going to guess
about 8 years or so).  This is my current firewire card, and I really hope
we don't lose support because it is my only capture method (my cable
company is kind enough to put everything I subscribe to over firewire with
no copy restrictions) and works relatively well, although I occasionally
have to reboot the machine when it fails on recording, which has happened a
bit more frequently lately.

Firewire info:
03:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB82AA2 IEEE-1394b Link
Layer Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Texas Instruments TSB82AA2 IEEE-1394b Link Layer
Controller
        Memory at febff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
        Memory at febf8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci