[mythtv-users] Minimize frontend?

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:21:01 UTC 2014

On Jul 1, 2014 3:25 PM, "Sam Jacobs" <samlists at ijacobs.co.uk> wrote:

> Jacek,
>
> (For the avoidance of confusion, I ought to point out that I’m quoting
> Jean-Yves’s message but replying to you, really)
>
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On 29 June 2014 10:02, jacek burghardt <jaceksburghardt at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> How about wild idea installing xbmc and using it instead of mythtv
fronted.
> >> It has plugins for all services you are using.
> >
> > First, stop top-posting.
>
> Indeed! Please note that at the bottom of every single email you
> receive from this list, there is a link to the MythTV mailing list
> etiquette <http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette> page on the
> wiki. Ideally, we would all adhere to it in its entirety all of the
> time, but none of us are perfect, so if you take one thing away after
> reading it, I’m sure that many would agree that the one thing would be
> the bit about not top posting. The reasons for this are explained on
> the wiki page.
>
> Unfortunately Gmail hides the quoted text, but to show it you simply
> have to click the … button at the bottom of the reply text area.
>
> > Second, it seems every single post of yours is about using XBMC in
> > place of mythtv. It's not constructive, we got your point the first
> > time.
> > now it's just annoying
>
> I have to agree with this. Over the years, the MythTV developers have
> put a lot of work into mythfrontend, therefore it is the best frontend
> to use if you need support from the people who have deep knowledge of
> the inner workings of MythTV. Additionally, I suspect that most
> non-devs use mythfrontend as their primary frontend, so we, as users,
> can often offer help and advice.
>
> Blithely suggesting switching away from mythfrontend isn’t, as
> Jean-Yves points out, particularly constructive, especially for a
> minor problem such as the OP’s. That’s not to say that it’s *always*
> something you should refrain from suggesting; I can think of a few
> situations where it would be a valid and helpful suggestion. Anyway,
> as a Mac user, it would be disingenuous indeed of me to say that I’m
> against “alternative”, and I think that Jean-Yves, as the primary
> MythTV on OS X developer, would feel the same way. Indeed, MythTV
> *itself* is, nowadays, a (significantly more powerful and flexible)
> alternative to DVR STBs—which, frankly, is why we’re all here in the
> first place.
>
> In fact, I occasionally use an alternative frontend myself, and I
> think that perhaps alternative frontends could be more “visible”—maybe
> a wiki page, linked to from the main page of the wiki (and possibly
> the website).
>
> Actually, you could write a wiki page right now, but I think you’d
> have to get one of the devs to link to it from the main page, as it
> [...]

For clarity's sake let me say that, in retrospect, I think it was I who
errantly top posted, I know better, I apologize, I simply forgot. I am not
the one, however suggesting alternative frontend solutions. Intriguing as
they are, I always have, and probably always will use myth, because it is
GREAT,  and I appreciate all the work put into this software by the dev's
and the support I've received from this list getting my system up and
running.   Respectfully Daryl.