[mythtv-users] setup

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 30 22:36:49 UTC 2014

On 01/30/2014 02:52 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 1/30/2014 2:24 PM, James White wrote:
>> First time user here;
>>
>> My church has used mythtv in the past for setting up super bowl
>> broadcast for viewing.   We've clearly used both homerun and the
>> mythtv package as they are both resident on our mac.  But the person
>> who has set this up in the past is not with us anymore.  So I need
>> some help.  Here is what I know;
>>
>>   * We have an antenna coming in from the roof.
>>   * It is attached to a device called HDHomeRun.  This is a device
>>     that sends over-the-air or cable TV signal into a local computer
>>     network
>>   * This is currently set up in the auditorium.  The signal is strong
>>     on the computer.  You can view it on the application called HD
>>     HomeRun.
>>   * In order to actually view the content from the signal you need a
>>     different program.  This is where there may be a different option
>>     with a PC vs Mac.  With Mac the only acceptable program is MythTV
>>     (which is complicated beyond anything else I have done on the
>>     internet).  There are more options for Windows and Linux.
>>

>> Clearly we used the product before so I assume the configuration is
>> still there.   Is there a first step or steps I'm missing?
>
> If you're only intending to watch the game, Silicon Dust surely has a
> viewer application that runs on OSX.

But iirc that program does not provide for recording and pausing the
playback etc.

James, you might want to check out the mythtv wiki
mythtv.org/wiki

The user manual explains how mythtv works. Tersely, you use mythtv setup
to pair your hardware tuners with your EPG lineup so the programs know
which channels any particular tuner can receive.

Then the mythbackend program handles the recording part, using info from
the database. and the frontend (which can be a different computer) reads
the recorded file from the backend store.

"LiveTV' is actually a very slightly delayed recorded program. And in
fact it is much more useful to watch things like sports intentionally a
minute or so delayed from the 'Recordings' section. and that makes
pausing things and running your replays easy.You don't even need to skip
commercials to go to the bathroom.

Questions for you:
Do you have programs on the hard drive called mythbackend mythfrontend
and mythtv-setup?

You also need a working mysql setup. Myth uses mysql heavily.
If those programs exist (and it sounds like they should) then you are
well on your way.

Note that Schedules Direct has a 7 day trial setup which sounds like
what you want.

Guessing that nothing has been screwed up and that the hdhomerun is
working (use 'hdhomerun_config discover'), then:
1) Make sure that the mysql server is running.
2) Run mythtv-setup and step through, just looking at things for the moment
3) Exit mythtv-setup, Start mythbackend as a service
4) Start mythfrontend.

NOTE! since I don't run myth on a Mac the program names may not be the same!
Let us know what you find. There will be someone here to hold your hand
(at least metaphorically).

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury