[mythtv-users] Is anyone using the Open Source / In Kernel drivers for the TBS 6981 DVB-S2?

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 17:28:50 UTC 2014

On 30/01/14 16:54, nospam312 wrote:
> Is anyone using the open source / in kernel drivers for the TBS 6981
> DVB-S2 card?
>
> Does anyone have any feedback or know what version of the kernel it
> should be in as standard?
>
> Feedback seems to be that it is much better than the TBS provided
> drivers and bugs have been fixed.  If they are in kernel it also means
> not having to manually recompile after each Linux update.
>
> More details at https://github.com/ljalves/linux_media/wiki
>
> TIA

The open source drivers are in kernel 3.13 and work great with tvheadend
and mythtv on my test system..

WARNING: NVIDIA drivers do not work without patching in kernel 3.13 on
Ubuntu and others.

For earlier kernels  I used  the updated media stack (Basic Approach) :

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers#Retrieving_and_Building.2FCompiling_the_Latest_V4L-DVB_Source_Code

I cannot use the open source drivers with my production mythtv backend
as I have TBS 6280 DVB-T2 card (no open source driver) as well as TBS 6981.

Apart from having to rebuild the TBS drivers when the kernel is updated,
I have had no problems with the TBS drivers in production mythtv
backend, except  slowish channel changing in Livetv. The open source
driver for TBS 6981 is faster.

Mike