[mythtv-users] H265 support?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 00:52:12 UTC 2014

Le jeudi 30 janvier 2014, Mike Hodson <mystica at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Really? Why doesn't mythtv link against system ffmpeg?
>
> Stupid forks of ffmpeg make me so damn perturbed because they never work
> right.  Just code your software to use normal ffmpeg.
>
> So what if ffmpeg API and ABI keep changing. Require a version of it and
> not fork your own.

The changes in the ffmpeg used by mythtv are now kept to a minimal.
But unfortunately, there are many features required by mythtv that aren't
found in the current ffmpeg. And each time we've attempted to submit our
changes upstream: those changes have been refused.

Due to the typical media mythtv uses: MPEG-ts stream, where you often
see changes  of the video stream format mid-way: we needed extra mechanisms
to detect changes of frame rate or resolutions . Things ffmpeg didn't
provide.

We also support extra features such as mheg or subtitles that ffmpeg do not
support either.

It's actually quite simple now to have mythtv link against standard ffmpeg
libraries: it will mostly work. That is until you want to access to all
those extra features.