[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 29 22:05:49 UTC 2014

On 01/29/2014 02:20 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

How I wish a letter to the CEO (or what they call a letter bomb) would
solve the problems with the current broadband / TV market. However, Its
not the case in a monopoly.

The current state of the US Broadband market is dismal at best. The
areas of service are cut up into small monopolies that guarantee
business for any company involved.

Its not that they dont know what you need. Its that they dont care what
you need. They also dont care about the quality of service is - to an
extent. As long as they dont have to hear from the controlling board
that over sees the provider in each state they are quite happy disposing
of your letters in the garbage. Thats why monopolies are such a bad
thing. They no longer depend on satisfying the customer because they are
the only game in town. One can fire off a letter to a CEO of such a
company but in the end you will find that nothing changes.

What needs to be done is to deregulate the market completely. Finish off
the fiber optic runs would be a good thing as then many providers can
compete on a house to house market. Of course this is wishful thinking
as it takes alot of money to provide fiber optic lines. Once again, This
is something that the companies involved do not wish to do because it
would eat into their profits and there is really no need as there is no
competition to drive it. The states do not want to shoulder the costs
either. The US government would never even get the job completed even
after spending millions of dollars on the project. So, Things sit as
they are.

jdegraw