[mythtv-users] Running mythtv-setup over X as mythtv user

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:41:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 01/28/2014 11:24 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
>
>> When I VNC, I'm logged in as 'ian' not 'mythtv'. Mythfrontend is already
>> running on combined fe/be and Setup/General shows the mythtv user running
>> it.
>>

> FWIW, it may be a lot quicker--since you're just trying to run
> mythtv-setup--to just download a live DVD (like http://www.ubuntu.com/
> download/desktop ), then boot it up, start a terminal, then:
>
> ssh -l mythtv -Y backendserver
>
> The problems you're having are due to the complexity of making an X server
> work on Windows.  Since mythtv-setup is generally a "once and done" thing,
> you shouldn't need to keep going back to mythtv-setup, so it may make a lot
> more sense to try the easy way--even if it requires booting from a live DVD.

I finally broke down --  since the missus was asking about a show on the
new channel -- and ran mythtv-setup from the mythbuntu menu. I exited w/o
running mythfilldatabase (as that would run it as me) and sudo su'd it as
the mythtv user to grab the listings. I hand copied a channel logo over to
the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels dir.

Since I don't see any more OTA channels popping up in the near future (this
one recently got a power boost approved to reach into Toronto) that and the
WAF made me do it.

I guess I should make my desktop dual boot to Ubuntu...get around all the
Windoze shenanigans when ever I do need to run this.