[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 22:42:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> ....  So, if
> anyone is doing something wrong, here, it's Sony (or, specifically, that
> Sony receiver that's failing to apply HDCP), but likely it's not "wrong" so
> much as just "outdated" and expected to be "fixed" through
> attrition/eventual replacement.

It was known that there were some (old) Sony AV receivers
that did not do HDMI + HDCP properly, if at all.  One can
go to the various avsforum boards to find such discussions (or
at least that is where I seem to recall I saw them years ago).
AFAIK no current shipping Sony devices are deficient in that
regard (HDMI v1.x + HDCP is deficient, but that is a different
animal).  I am sure HDMI v2.2 will be better, because they
have certainly learned their lesson........maybe.......

It is interesting that one of the pieces of home theater
equipment that tends to have the longest lifetime is the AV
receiver.  It is not unusual to find people on their 2nd/3rd
generation of TV/projector that are still using the same AV
receiver they initially purchased.  The biggest reason to
upgrade seems to be the number of HDMI ports or a desire
for some streaming capability, aka AirPlay (and not because
they want 11.2 channels).  So attrition in the receiver world
takes longer than Sony (and its stockholders) would like;
Sony is now rated as junk by Moody's.