[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

CACook at Quantum-Sci.com CACook at Quantum-Sci.com
Mon Jan 27 21:09:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:38:25 -0500
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I suppose you could say that I "don't like the R5000", but I
> think it's more precise to say that the MythTV community does not
> like discussion of the R5000 on this list.

This is a fair statement about devs.  But users may very well want to know what options there are, and in the case of this thread, the user specifically asked.

> Again, see #5 at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette#Anything_else_I_should_be_aware_of.3F
> .  And, because its wording must be much better than mine--since it
> seems there's a lot of questions over what I'm trying to say--and
> since it seems few have actually read the rule at the link, I'll
> quote a small part of #5:
> ----
> Discussion of any topics that may be considered illegal or
> questionably legal in any of the areas that MythTV developers and/or
> users reside (especially the United States as the mailing lists are
> hosted in the United States) is prohibited. Similarly, discussion of
> topics that are in violation of the Terms of Service/Terms of Use of
> any service (including cable or satellite TV or web services, such as
> video streaming sites or television listings sites) is prohibited.
>
> *** And not just developers, but a lot of users, too, who don't want
> to see the project get destroyed by legal threats that we
> (developers, community members, and users) don't have the resources
> to fight. Remember they don't have to take us to court--only to make
> it potentially too costly (in terms of time and/or money) for us to
> want to fight.  And I'll admit that it wouldn't take more than a
> pittance out of my own pocket or a tiny amount of my own time to sway
> me toward the "not worth fighting" side of the decision.

It is fair that you and other Myth devs do not like the R5000.  But apparently you have not understood the thread of this discussion, or simply will not accept the facts.

I can say it in sixty different ways, but this is clearest:

- The R5000 is not illegal, in its physical manifestation nor its usage.

- The R5000 is still in use by almost a hundred users of SageTV to record and archive Dish Network satellite TV programs (see the forums), and by myself and at least one other on MythTV.

- Even if the R5000 were proscribed by a content provider, which it is not, this has nothing to do with MythTV.  This would only be a concern between the user of the R5000 and the content provider.  It's ridiculous to try and associate Myth with this contract issue.

- If you do not want the Myth project to be destroyed, then why is commercial skip allowed which is clearly defined in federal statute as illegal?

- You should know that if content providers considered Myth to be enough of a threat to take legal action for any reason, they always send a cease and desist letter, which always gives a reasonable time period for you to stop the ostensibly infringing behavior, and is required to by law.  There is no penalty.  There is no fine, and no one is thrown in jail or the project shut down...  unless you fail to comply after expiration of the time period.

To continue to reject these facts is the reason I assert that this is an emotional and political issue, rather than a legal or technical one.  I'm glad that youall finally have something to agree to and band together on, but that doesn't make it correct or right, as always.  You apparently don't realize that there are many Myth users who agree with the points of view I've set out.  Maybe it doesn't matter to you.

And now, do you dare to put this on the list?