[mythtv-users] Modelines

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Mon Jan 27 20:46:42 UTC 2014

2014-01-27 Robert Dege <livemotion at gmail.com>:
> @Mike - I have a Samsung TV, which has two HDMI ports, and a Game Mode.  I
> currently have the TV configured for Movie mode, but will try enabling Game
> mode to see if it makes a difference.  I will also toggle between the two
> HDMI ports.  One of the ports doubles as a DVI in, when using a HDMI to DVI
> adapter.
>

> @ Raymond - The overscan affects all programs, including xfce (I am unable
> to see the panel across the top of the screen).  I did try the screen setup
> wizard, but it only made minor adjustments... not enough to resolve the
> issue.
>

> @ Kenni - Thank you for the judder free link.  I will check it out later
> this evening if the above TV suggestions are ineffective.

Robert, which Samsung model do you have? The xorg.conf I posted on
pastebin should work with most - if not all - Samsung full HD TVs
released within the past few years. I've used it for 5 or 6 different
Samsung models with success. You should NOT use the screen setup
wizard with a Samsung full HD TV.

Save the file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot your system and see if
it works. If you have a current generation LED TV ("F"), you should
likely set "Picture Size" on your TV to "Screen Fit" or alternatively
"16:9" to get a 1:1 pixel mapping.

When you get the screen size fixed, you should also set the Picture
Sharpness filter to "0" instead of the default "50", as this will
improve the picture quality dramatically when using a PC as source.

Best regards
Kenni