[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 18:13:08 UTC 2014

> On 28 Jan 2014, at 3:47 am, "Daryl McDonald" <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/26/2014 08:28 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry Bill, I climbed the thread without bringing you along. I was
>>> referring to the following:
>>>
>>> KERNEL=="dvb?.frontend?",SUBSYSTEM=="dvb",ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x0070",ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x7911",SYMLINK+="JustTesting",GROUP="video"
>>>
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Jan 25 16:43 /dev/JustTesting ->
>>> dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>>>
>>> and my results were:
>>>  drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  120 Jan 26 18:32 adapter0

>>> Can you see what I mean now?   Daryl
>>

>> I think I see what you mean.
>>
>> The symlink in the above would be under /dev, so: ls -l /dev/JustTesting
>> should be created. That was literally me just testing udev rules and the
>> pastebin I posted has better examples.
>>
>> In earlier examples, SYMLINK+="dvb/DigKW150-$KERNEL" was used and thus
>> the symlink would appear if you typed: ls -l /dev/dvb.
>>

>> --
>> Bill
>
> The fact that the HP pvr150 analog card has a working symlink assures
> me that my cards will not go off line; I've seen it as video0 and as
> video2 and no recordings missed. but I still don't understand why a
> symlink can not be created for the digital cards. When I followed
> Bill's example, his ls -l result was " lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Jan
> 25 16:43 /dev/JustTesting ->" whereas my result was " drwxr-xr-x  2
> root root  120 Jan 26 18:32 adapter0"  no symlink? different
> characters preceding "root root"?
> just curious   Daryl
Yes, my understanding is that that output means something hasn't worked.

Did you redo and pastebin the following command for Bill (I may have missed it but couldn't find it in the last few messages, if I read the history correctly).

udevadm info --attribute-walk --path $(udevadm info --query path --name=/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)

And maybe also post your current rules so that the two can be compared side-by-side fresh again.