[mythtv-users] Best Way to Run Commercial Detection Jobs Not On Master Backend

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Jan 27 17:23:05 UTC 2014

On 12/25/2013 5:15 PM, Jon Heizer wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2013 1:45 PM, "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net
> <mailto:drew at mykitchentable.net>> wrote:
> >
> > I've been running a combo front/backend on an Athlon dual core box
> for many years.  It works but it's a bit low powered for commercial
> detection jobs, especially for HD streams.
> >
> > I've recently replaced an old P3 600 mhz unix server with a Xeon
> based processor and have built a VMWare ESXi host.  I plan on
> rebuilding my old server as a VM on this box.  However I will have a
> lot of available CPU power here and wondered about building another VM
> who's sole purpose is to take some of the commercial detection load
> off of my master backend.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to do this.  At first I assumed I would need to
> build a slave backend.  However I have seen other threads that talk
> about there being no reason to build a  slave backend unless there are
> tuners attached as mythjobqueue can provide the function with much
> less overhead.
> >
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this started?  I
> have built a VM with Mythbuntu, choosing the slave backend option, but
> don't really know how to get it to help with commercial detection jobs
> on the master.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Drew
>
> Run mythtv-setup like you are configuring a slave back end and then
> just have mythjobqueue run instead of mythbackend.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.  On the slave backend
settings, I have the local database set to the actual IP address of the
slave machine, not localhost.  The master backend is set to the actual
IP address of the master backend.  On the master backend, I have both
the local and master database settings also set to the actual IP address
and not localhost.

However when I start my slave backend, I get errors in the log about not
being able to connect to MySQL (log snippet at bottom).  It's true that
there is no mysqld running on the slave.  However I've come across this
thread (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/258886) that
suggests there should not be any mysqld running on the slave.  It says
to run only one mythconverg database on the entire network. OK, that
makes sense.  So what should I set the local database to on the slave?
I only have two choices, the real IP of the slave and localhost.
Directly typing anything in the local database address box is not possible.

Thanks for your help!

Log snippet:

Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: N
thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:68 (InitializeMythDirs) Using configuration
directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: I CoreContext
mythcorecontext.cpp:249 (Init) Assumed character encoding: en_US.UTF-8
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: E CoreContext
mythdbparams.cpp:39 (IsValid) DBHostName is not set in config.xml
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: N CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:504 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Empty LocalHostName.
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: I CoreContext
mythcontext.cpp:512 (LoadDatabaseSettings) Using localhost value of
mythbuntu
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: E CoreContext
mythdbcon.cpp:216 (OpenDatabase) Unable to connect to database!
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: E CoreContext
mythdbcon.cpp:217 (OpenDatabase) Driver error was [1/2002]:#012QMYSQL:
Unable to connect#012Database error was:#012Can't connect to local MySQL
server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: C CoreContext
main.cpp:116 (main) Failed to init MythContext.
Jan 27 08:58:48 mythbuntu mythbackend: mythbackend[30512]: I Logger
logging.cpp:315 (run) Added logging to the console

--
Like card tricks?

Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse to
learn card magic secrets for free!