[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 27 16:16:02 UTC 2014

On 01/27/2014 10:53 AM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
> On 1/27/14, 10:43 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> An even simpler and more concerning item to consider, DMCA. That makes
>>> doing such a thing not only a violation of the TOS of Dish networks, but
>>> a violation of US federal law.
>>> I'd rather violate eleven providers TOS than deal with the hassle of
>>> violating federal law. The eleven could get me into a civil court, the
>>> latter a criminal court.

>>> I disagree, save for the conditioned above. If one wishes to discuss
>>> circumventing DRM, that most certainly does not belong on the list.
>>> However, if one is simply trying to make the device work with MythTV in
>>> a manner compliant with DRM, TOS of the providers and the law,
>> But you seem to have agreed, above, that the use of custom-mod'ed
>> R5000 hardware is a violation of Dish TOS, and the list prohibits
>> discussion of topics that are in violation of ToS/ToU, as mentioned in
>> the linked "Mailing list etiquette" wiki page, above.  ("Similarly,
>> discussion of topics that are in violation of the Terms of
>> Service/Terms of Use of any service (including cable or satellite TV
>> or web services, such as video streaming sites or television listings
>> sites) is prohibited.")
>>
>> So, you're saying, "It should be discussed, save for the fact that
>> it's a violation of Dish TOS and may be a violation of DMCA?"  If so,
>> doesn't that reduce to, "It should not be discussed"?  If so, I don't
>> know why you're disagreeing...
>>
> Is the base model one that is in violation of Dish TOS, hence also the
> DMCA? If not, can and should not such a device be discussed if someone
> wishes to make it work with MythTV (a compliant device, that is)?
> Or is the base model, the one from the manufacturer one that is
> non-compliant in the first place?
> That is my only point, compliant devices. I'm not disagreeing with the
> policy of not discussing non-compliant devices that also quite likely
> are in violation of federal law.
>>>    should
>>> that also be prohibited from the list (assuming that the requester being
>>> a rational and sane individual)?
>> No, but since this was discussion of use of hardware that's in direct
>> violation of Dish TOS (and may or may not be in violation of DMCA),
>> I'm asking that the discussion be moved elsewhere.
>>
> I've been filled in on the backstory of this individual. I agree,
> non-complaint hardware that violates Dish TOS and quite likely the DMCA
> should not be discussed.
> I only was suggesting that a device that *is* compliant with the law and
> one's provider (or intended provider) TOS can and should be discussed.
> Only those devices, not ones modded to evade lawful and compliant with
> TOS usage. My understanding of the device in question is that the base
> model, unmodified, is compliant with the law and Dish TOS. If I'm
> mistaken, please let me know.

Oh, I see where the disconnect is.  My understanding is that "R5000" is
the name of the modification that's applied to Dish STB hardware to
allow direct capture of digital content by intercepting content after
decoding but before encryption for the protected path and/or a name used
to refer to the post-mod'ed STB.  TTBOMK, Dish never offered a receiver
called the "R5000" (there was at one point an Echostar DVR-5000, along
with DVR-7000 and other models, but they're unrelated to the
modification being discussed).

Mike