[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jan 26 23:29:42 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 12:06:18PM -0500, Stephen P. Villano wrote:

> On 1/26/14, 11:37 AM, jedi wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:21:37AM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> >> In nearly all cases, set top boxes and cable cards remain property of
> >> the cable company.  If you want to buy a cable card and own it
> >> outright without a monthly fee, you can't.  If you want a generic STB
> >> and find one one ebay or from some other source, they generally won't
> >> let you hook it up.
> >     The main problem is that cable operators seek to make 3rd party devices
> > useless. The whole encryption cartel thing has become a huge mess. The only
> > platform that is fully supported is Windows and even then I think the only
> > fully supported application is Microsoft's own. The entire regime is hostile
> > to anything else. It's even somewhat hostile to Tivo.
> >
> >     Workaround can be done but they are more complex and more costly. The
> > simple and direct approach is quite effectively sabotaged.
> >
> Windows is the fully supported, followed by Tivo. Both paid for the
> licensing and met with the requirements of protecting the crypto.
> That isn't sabotage, it's a basic licensing scheme that is somewhat
> abusive in nature.

   That is indeed sabotage.

   The copy control settings can knarfle a Tivo.

[deletia]

   It is intended to work this way and the FCC doesn't really care. They
are the people that put this regime in place to begin with. Encryption
between the STB and the TV is something that is absolutely not needed. It
serves no real purpose other than to cement the position of cable companies.

   Less abusive approaches are certainly possible. They are employed in Europe.