[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Andre Ross andre.ross at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 26 15:08:31 UTC 2014

First off I want to say I used cable with Mythtv and would still be using cable if they let you use your own devices.

In in the 90's I built my first mythtv setup I think version 0.15 I was able to setup what my kids watched and they loved it and no more lost DVD with jelly on them put into the DVD player by your five year old. Before that I had laser discs they took a special player because they were HUGE pre DVD's.

For some reason cable does not want you to watch your tv shows at home on your own device and I moved to a area without cable and later when I could get cable it was not worth the trouble.

I would switch back to cable in a flash if they unlock the stations, as I just want to watch what I want when I want using devices that I own.

My setup

Netflix
huluplus
crackle

(some of these I don't use but I feel better paying for content even if I get it from another source)

For server

Linux OS

hdhomerun prime with cable card (moved to a area without cable)
homerun dual (antenna input) (for local shows also football and news programs)

Software for backend
Mythtv
PLEX server (this will allow you to stream your shows when you travel)
sabnzbd      (this is a app to help auto download internet content)
sickbeard    (this app will auto find tv shows and pass it to the sabnzbd app for processing)
NzbDrone    (optional and harder to set up but takes the place of sickbeard)

Also you need 2 internet service paid services are best
nzb search service (these are becoming harder to find but worth it)
News Server (a good one I like ones in eu)

nice to have a paid vpn service

Frontend
qty 2 - ZOTAC HD PC

qty 3 - Roku
plex apps on my phone, tablet & roku

Plex will allow you to stream you tv and video shows when you travel and around the house but mythtv frontend and gives better video controls.

Also when I travel I take my roku with me almost all hotel rooms tv's have a video input and you can catch up on your shows.