[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 19:08:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hoi Daryl,
>>
>> If you just look in /dev for the exact filename and path, you can type that
>> name in the field in Myth-setup
>
> When I try to change whatever presents itself in the field I get
> "failed to open"
>>
>> Tot mails,
>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens
>> --
>>
>> Saturday, January 25, 2014, 4:14:38 PM, you wrote:

>>> Like I told Mark, after deleting all cards and selecting new card the
>>> only options that present with the left/right arrows are /dev/whatever
>>> or/video/whatever no symlinks show up.

Here is the "grep" you suggested Mark:
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ cat /etc/group | grep video
video:x:44:mythtv
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

And further, on a whim, I went into the BE deleted all capture cards,
then rebooted, and then went in again and was still not presented with
symlink names, only /dev/adapter0/frontend0, /dev/adapter1/frontend0,
/dev/video0, /dev/video24, /dev/video36, and only by backspacing and
typing can I get /dev/video1, or /dev/video2, they won't present with
left/right arrows, but they are recognized as "saa7134" and "Kworld
pc150u" so although the symlinks look good, maybe they didn't fully
take?

I don't fully understand the output from the grep, but my gut feeling
is that since I am able to configure the cards, without udev involved,
permissions must be correct, right?

thanks Daryl