[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 09:20:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:
> [I'm on the list, but Cc on replies appreciated]
>
> My new "promotional rate" with comcast is $60 including a $10 bullshit
> HD fee, for maybe 4 channels I watch outside of OTA channels.

You could probably eliminate the $10 HD fee by returning the
Comcast STB and just using the HDHR Prime with MythTV
(there are actually two different HD fees, the first, a HD Technology
fee, is charged if you have any Comcast supplied HD equipment.
If you return all your HD STBs, you do not pay that fee, and
also can get a (slight) discount for "customer owned equipment"
rather than using their STB.  Call it their TiVo discount.  The
second HD fee is for access to HD programming, and except
for some special franchises, is rarely seen on today's bills, as it
is (indirectly) included with your channel tier.  However, all
the cable providers have various other fees to make ones day).

> Are there any new ways that I might not know about?
> I'd love it if I could still use mythtv (or xbmc if needed), but if I
> have to switch to something else, I'd consider it.

I do not think so.  Perhaps mythnetvision can partially
integrate hulu, but you still have your #1 and #3 issues.

> OTA:
> - 60 minutes
> - KQED: Nova
> - SNL
> - Simpsons

IFF you are in reasonable range, these can just
be gotten OTA via an antenna with MythTV and
your original ATSC HDHR (the Prime cannot do
ATSC).

> Cable:
> - comedy channel: daily show, south park
> - History HD (Some documentaries, Top Gear USA)
> - Discovery HD (mythbusters, some science related shows)

Well, the bad news is Discovery has found reality TV, and
put any science shows (including Mythbusters) in the TV
waste lands.  Unfortunately, I suspect that that will result
in ratings that justifies the unthinkable, and would make
that channel moot (to me).

AFAIK (since Netflix lost rights to A+E programming)
History is now only available on Hulu.

> Any ideas?

Get used to disappointment?  The content providers
intentionally make it hard to cut the cord if you want
to watch the cable channel programming in near
time without commercials.

As far as real over the top services are concerned,
Intel just threw in the towel (sold their stillborn service
to Verizon), Amazon denies it is planning.  Sony
says that something will happen in 2014 (but not
clear what content, and it may be limited to Sony
devices), while Apple and Google are constantly
identified as interested, there are no deals/services
yet announced.