[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 23:47:19 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/24/2014 12:01 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>> OK I just went into setup>capture cards, and when I try to change
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 to anything with "dig1250" in it, I get
>> "failed to open" the only thing that opens is what presents when I
>> navigate through new cards. Obviously I'm missing how to or what to
>> change. Similarly with the other cards the symlink name returns
>> "failed to open" Help?   Daryl
>
> The user running mythtv-setup must have the right privileges to access
> the capture hardware. The easiest way of ensuring this is to run
> mythtv-setup as the same user as the one that runs the backend (which is
> usually "mythtv"). Doing so also avoids a host of other problems that
> might occur when running mythtv-setup as another user.
>
> So log into your backend from any machine:
>
>  ssh -X mythtv at nameofyourbackend
>
> then start mythtv-setup:
>
>  mythtv-setup
>
> This will prompt for permission to stop the backend. Which may fail: the
> mythtv user might not have permission to do so. In which case: in
> another terminal log into the backend as root and shut down the backend
> from there before proceeding past the shutdown-the-backend prompt:
>
>  ssh nameofyourbackend
>  sudo service mythtv-backend stop
>
> Then go back and do what you need to do in myhtv-setup. Once done, exit
> myhtv-setup and manually start the backend again from the window you
> used to stop it:
>
>  sudo service mythtv-backend start
>
> HTH, Jan

I haven't got ssh set up on any of my computers at this point. What I
did do though was stop the BE via the terminal, then launch BE setup,
and this time it did not ask for authorization to shut down the BE,
but still no success with changing in the symlink names. Even though
it said failed to open or could not get information for, I loaded them
that way anyway, went to the FE and each card was off line. I'm
wondering if this change is really necessary, this time with the three
cards in the box they have always loaded in the same sequence, and the
box is on and off by itself frequently, quite different from the first
time all three were in the box (three months ago) when they would
order themselves alternately every boot. I'm going to sit back and
monitor it for now. Many thanks to all contributors and especially all
devs I LOVE MYTHTV  Daryl