[mythtv-users] Support for mythrokuplayer

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jan 23 19:07:41 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 11:03 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 09:51:10AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>>>      That doesn't sound right.
>>>
>>>      Are you sure that the transcoder is using threading? You should be
>>> getting much better performance than that and using multiple cpus in
>>> the process. If your content or your transcoder can't take advantage
>>> of multiple cores, then a faster CPU probably won't help.
>>>

>> Yup.  I'm using handbrake and it's running on all available cores.
>> h264 transcoding just takes time.  On the hyperthreaded Intel it
>> shows as using 396% CPU :)
>      I do loads of this kind of stuff. That's why I find your results
> so intriguing.
>
>      I do h264 transcoding very frequently. I even started off a
> transcode of a BluRay on multiple machines to see how each would
> perform. Even working with files on an NFS mount didn't slow down
> my i3.
>
>      Something else you might want to try is installing Plex on the
> Roku. I have played around with that a little bit. It think I have
> been able to play BDs through it.
>
>      Although I prefer to just use ION based myth frontends for the
> kind of things that a Roku can't handle natively.

Bit rate                                 : 12.4 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 12.8 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

I would guess that if I reduced that size to DVD quality it would go
quicker... :)