[mythtv-users] Support for mythrokuplayer

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 00:18:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> Maybe when the new HDHomerun cablecard unit with
> transcoding comes out this could be an option.

*AND* there is support for same in MythTV presuming you want
recorded content (and not just LiveTV, which "just work" with
the Roku using DLNA).

> You have to transcode.  The Roku is picky about formats so there's no
> telling if it will play the new hdhr encodings. It would be nice.

The new ATSC HDHR's are out (for some), so you could test.  Since
the chip used is a common one, it seems likely that the Roku can
take that output, but until one tests......

> Do you know if you could run existing recordings through the HDHR and
> transcode them?  That would be a huge plus.

Simple answer no.  More complex answer is yes, if you are willing
to take the recordings, and encode them to a broadcast signal,
and the record them after reception and HW transcoding (essentially,
become your own local broadcaster).  You can pick up used TV
broadcaster equipment in the usual places.

There are a lot of hardware encoding options (Intel with gen
3/4 i series CPUs and QuickSync, nVidia with nvenc, AMD/ATI
with VCE), but right now, there is no software support for them in
Linux (Windows, on the other hand....).  Last I knew, FFMpeg
support for Intel QuickSync was still on a wish list.

There was (emphasis on was) a SDK for a HW transcoder
vendor for which you could purchase the SDK USB dongle,
and it supposedly had Linux drivers.  But it, again, was never
integrated into and of the existing transcoding software
(such as FFMpeg).