[mythtv-users] BackBlaze hard drive study

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Jan 22 17:40:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-22 10:57 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> And in this class, the fan noise is a given anyway.  :-)

Now that you mention it -- and I've seen other comments on Newegg about that chassis's lesser noise vs. SuperMicro's.

I have one of the Supermicro 3U 8-SATA server chassis -- I'm quite happy with it and yes it was LOUD.
(6 fans inside)

So I bought a display/fan controller from CrystalFontz and changed someone's driver out there adding PWM support for the
SCAB board connected to the display.

Now I can totally configure up the fans how I'd like via LCDd.conf into 4 zones. (The 4 bicolor LED's are also functioning now for each zone as well.)

In the winter, the fans barely run.

As the weather warms up - the fans bump up in speed a little to keep the chassis in the temp range I want....

but they NEVER run full blast anymore making the chassis quite nice -- plus is has a nice 4x20 LCD display I can do all sorts of things with.

  -Ben