[mythtv-users] BackBlaze hard drive study

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jan 22 16:57:42 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Doug Lytle" <support at drdos.info>

> >> Yup; *that's* the one I wanted. Loses an extra rackspace, though;
> >> you can
> >> have 14 3Us, but only 10 of those and 2 empty spaces.
>
> I've been looking at this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021
>
> After following this article:
>
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-howto/31485-build-your-own-fibre-channel-san-for-less-than-1000-part-1

If you're really in this market, prowl the surplus sellers for an HP DL180g6
with the 12x3.5 SATA/SAS front.  Those machines commonly come with the
fiberchannel card in them for free.

Figure $2-500 if you shop hard enough, for a dual-quad Xeon machine with
decent RAM.  And dual power supplies.

I am, as you might imagine, *very* fond of surplus HP servers.

And in this class, the fan noise is a given anyway.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra