[mythtv-users] BackBlaze hard drive study

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jan 22 02:57:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 14:02:26 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>>> Very interesting analysis from running 25,000 consumer-class drives
>>> over 5 years:
>

>Very interesting, I will be purchasing several drives in the near future and this was a help.
>
>Doug

Except that they do not like the WD 3 TB green drives at all, and I
have found them to be good so far.  The difference being that I have
disabled the automatic unload timeout on the ones I use for
recordings.  If you have that timeout enabled, there are situations
where the drive will unload, then get some activity and reload and
keep doing that every few seconds.  That really kills their lifetime.
I have two of these as recording drives with 549 days and 367 days
power on time so far.  I have another two as video storage (768 and
235 days), and another one in my Windows box (666 days).  All are
working fine without any problems, once I fixed the unload timeouts on
the ones that had problems with it.  I have just bought a WD40EZRX (4
Tbyte green) drive to use as a recording drive - I should have that
working in a day or two, but it will be a while before I will have any
idea of reliability.