[mythtv-users] OT: backing up miniDV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jan 20 00:40:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 02:10:14AM +0800, Phil Wild wrote:

> > > The question of what you can use to create a proper BD disk with in
> > > Linux is a very good question indeed...
> >
> > Indeed.  But as I say, whether that's his best move depends on his
> > goals.
> >

> My goal is to create a backup disk that is playable on a standard blu-ray
> player.
> The primary location of the media will be a directory under mythtv that I
> can view and play from.
> I think the simplest approach is to capture the video on a Mac mini via
> firewire rather than Linux then...

   If you are going to use a Mac, you certainly don't want to be feeding it
"alien" files. Macs aren't terribly good at doing that. You will get stuck
feeding your files through some other converter before Mac apps know what
to do with it.

   In either case, trying to use MythTV as some sort of general purpose BD/DVD
authoring tool seems a little bit inappropriate. This isn't really what MythTV
is for.