[mythtv-users] OT: backing up miniDV

Phil Wild phil at holobyte.com.au
Sun Jan 19 07:19:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

This is off topic but I thought I would ask the collective wisdom.

I have about 14 years of home videos on MiniDV tape. I have just started
transferring to DVD. I just purchased a secondhand DVD recorder with DV-in
(firewire) and am recording from the camera straight to DVD.

However...

About 5 years ago, I bout a miniDV camera that was capable of 1080i
recording. Unfortunately this camera has died and I need to find another
but going to DVD in the above manner will most probably lose quality.

What is the best way of getting this type of footage onto BluRay? If I get
a firewire card installed in my mythtv frontend, is there any easy way to
write out in BluRay format (mytharchive perhaps?).

Thanks

Phil