[mythtv-users] 0.27: Stalls and other niggles - diagnosed

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 17 19:34:30 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 12:40 PM, Mike Thomas wrote:
> because the problem stems from mythbackend instructing MySQL and
> the filesystem to update the database files and wait for them to land
> on the platters on each insert statement.

MythTV doesn't tell MySQL to wait for the data to land on the
platters--/you/ do when you mount the file system with barriers enabled.
  You seem to have covered the options you have, so now you just need to
choose the one that's most appropriate for you, based on both the value
of the data to you (and whether it's worth the costs of the various
solutions) and the likelihood of an issue occurring due to the solution
you've implemented.  IOW, just how much is a bit of recording data
(possibly re-creatable, for example if it's just seek data) worth to you
in the event your system loses power in the middle of a recording
(which, will--and there's nothing you can do to make it
otherwise--result in at least a partial loss of some of that recording,
anyway).  In my mind, if the recording itself is screwed up, who cares
about the seek data I might lose?

Mike