[mythtv-users] codeset warning in mythfilldatabase?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 13:20:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2014 08:56 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>
>>> "LANG=en_US.utf8"
>>>
>>> UTF-8 != utf8
>>>
>>> (While the comparison is case-insensitive, you're missing a hyphen.)
>>>
>>> How do I know for sure I'm supposed to use a hyphen and MythTV isn't just
>>> wrong?
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/479813#479813
>>>
>>> If your distro set things up incorrectly for you, please get them to fix
>>> their brokenness (and try to get others to fix their brokenness when you
>>> see
>>> this message posted to the list--which happens /way/ too often).  If your
>>> distro has renamed the charmap file that glibc calls "UTF-8.gz" to
>>> UTF8.gz
>>> (without the hyphen), please let me know.
>>
>> Yup, you're correct.  I just posted to the Gentoo forum on this,
>>
>> because I was easily able to correct this on the Gentoo machine I'm on
>> right now, but the exact same thing on my myth boxes *refuses* to
>> work:
>>
>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-981580-highlight-.html
>>
>> Mind boggling...no clue what's going on there.
>

> What do you get from:
>
> find /usr/share/i18n -iname '*utf*'
>
> (assuming localedef --help lists "System's directory for character maps :
> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps", as described in the post I linked above)?  I just
> want to make sure Gentoo isn't changing things around from "vanilla" naming.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I get this:

/usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz

I was able to get things working the way I wanted but only by
expressly adding a file to the gentoo /etc/env.d that expressly set:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

I'm still trying to find out if there's "correct" way of getting it right.

Tom