[mythtv-users] DVB-T2 290e Problem Tuning HD Channels UK Freeview.

Ian Barton lists at wilkesley.net
Fri Jan 17 08:26:43 UTC 2014

On 16/01/14 15:35, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Thursday 16 Jan 2014 15:27:54 Stuart Morgan wrote:
>> On Thursday 16 Jan 2014 15:07:40 Ian Barton wrote:
>>> [    6.352796] usb 2-1.5: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Sony
>>> CXD2820R)...
>>
>> That's the 290e registering as adapter 1 not adapter 3
>>
>>> [    7.129041] usb 5-1: DVB: registering adapter 3 frontend 0 (DiBcom
>>> 3000MC/P)...
>>
>> The DiBcom device is the Nova-T 500
>>
>> Without restarting the backend, change the device mapping in mythtv, it
>> should then work.
>>
>> MythTV won't scan for DVB-T2 channels on what it believes to be a DVB-T
>> card.
>
> Just in case you're still confused, the Nova-T 500 is also a USB device, it
> just happens to be connected to a USB controller on a PCI card.

Thanks Stuart, I was aware that the T 500 was a usb device.
Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work :(

Things are getting a bit confused, so here is a summary of what I have done:

In my MythTV backend I have:

ian at mythtv:~$ ls /dev/dvb
adapter0  adapter1  adapter2  adapter3

I have tried doing a scan for all adapters:

sudo scan -ax -o zap /home/ian/uk-WinterHill > channelsx.conf

All four adapters can tune the SD stations, but none of them can tune
the HD ones. Note I would expect only the 290e to tune HD.

I have taken the 290e and tried it in my laptop, so there is no
confusion about which adapter is which. When I first got the adapter it
could tune HD channels in the laptop. Now using scan it can find all the
SD channels, but not the HD channels.

I have tried all three aerials in the house, which should all be able to
receive Freeview. I can't tune HD channels using my laptop on any of
them, but SD channels are OK. Both of the TV's that have built in
Freeview tuners can tune the SD channels.

I am plugging the 290e directly into the usb port and not using the bit
of cable that comes with it. For testing I am plugging directly into the
aerial lead without any intervening splitters/amps.

Ian.